earrings - F21, dress- vintage, sweater- J.Crew c/o Carina, tights- Nordy's Rack, shoes- Target
Last night my friend Andrea threw a surprise party for her boyfriend, Ethan. We have a special bond because we’re both girlfriends of engineers. As I watched the soiree unfold, it got me to thinking about the inevitable stages of any surprise party (all of which I witnessed first-hand.)
1. The invitation, where you emphasize it’s a SURPRISE and invite everyone to come at least 30 minutes earlier than the guest of honor, though some people will still be late, guaranteed. [received on Sunday]
2. The time before the party, where the host makes excuses to the guest of honor about why they can’t hang out, and simultaneously makes plans for them to be “doing” something, which culminates in them coming to the party. [Andrea made plans to “baby-sit” and have Ethan’s friends bring him to the house]
3. The week before the party when you (the invited guest) avoid the guest of honor AT ALL COSTS because you will ABSOLUTELY say “Oh my gosh Ethan I am so excited for your party!” [me. Maybe this is just me.]
4. The party! The host is incredibly stressed because there is a fabulous chance the guest of honor will have figured it out by now. Host is in constant contact with assisting friends.
5. The false alarms. Anywhere from 5-10 people will say “He’s here!” When he’s not, in fact, here. [Ok this was definitely me because I just couldn’t resist.]
6. Guest of honor arrives! Other guests scrutinize their reaction. Was he really surprised? [All I know is that if I ever have a surprise party, there will be screaming and throwing-up. I hate surprises]
7. The guest of honor cries because they have THE best friends EVER. [Or maybe this was just my mom on her surprise 40th]
8. The aftermath trial, where guests ask the guest of honor, “Did you figure it out?! Were you actually surprised?” Some guests also apologize for avoiding the guest of honor all week. [Me.]
Oh yeah, this is what I wore to the party. Not the terrible offense of split-bang, just the outfit.